Shaved Pork Gyro
Gyros can be found in many, if not all, Mediterranean restaurants. Now, with this recipe, you can easily make your own gyros in your kitchen, using Old Neighborhood Shaved Pork!Ingredients:
More info here!
More info here!
- 1 1-lb. package of Old Neighborhood Shaved Pork
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- tzatziki sauce (see ingredients & recipe below)
- pita bread
- olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, cut into strips
- Lettuce leaves
- Crumbled feta
- 2 containers of Greek yogurt
- 1 hothouse cucumber, grated (or 2 tbsp.’s worth)
- 1 tbsp. carrot, grated
- ½ tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill, minced
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- Marinate the Shaved Pork with 1 tbsp. oregano, 1 tbsp. cumin, 3 tbsp. lemon juice, minced garlic clove, salt, and pepper for at least 30 minutes. I left the amount of salt and pepper to your discretion, but if you need a point of reference, I used 1 tsp. salt with 2 tsp. black pepper.
- If you are making the tzatziki sauce yourself, mix all of the tzatziki ingredients together, and set it aside in the fridge.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add 2 tsp. of olive oil. Add the shaved pork.
- Cook the pork for about 4-5 minutes, or until the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- In a separate pan, heat ½ tsp. of olive oil. Lightly toast one pita bread.
- Remove the pita from the pan, and place it on a dish.
- Remove the tzatziki sauce from the fridge.
- Place one lettuce leaf in the center of the pita.
- Add tomato strips, onion slices, and cooked shaved pork. The amount added is dependent on how full you would like each gyro.
- Top with feta cheese and some tzatziki sauce.
- Fold the sides of the pita towards the center.
- (optional) Wrap with foil or parchment paper to hold the gyro in place.
- Repeat steps 6-13 for each gyro.
- Serve and enjoy!