Orsi’s Famous Shaved Steak Hoagies
Enjoy this basic recipe which will allow you to savor the beef and cheese without a lot of additional toppings! Simple, delicious and cost affordable to make! From the kitchen of Susanne Orsi!Ingredients:
- 2-lbs. Old Neighborhood Foods Beef Shaved Steak
- 1/8 cup of virgin olive oil or steak sauce
- 12 oz. of a savory beef gravy (purchased or homemade)
- 1 bag (8 or 12 oz.) of mozzarella cheese
- 2 24-inch loaves of country bread or 4 Italian hoagie rolls (French loaves work well also for a crunchier crust)
- season to your taste
- Slowly sauté steak in large skillet:
- Add in a little virgin olive oil or add some steak sauce – very little.
- Toss steak in skillet to lightly coat.
- Once steak has almost finished cooking, drain and then add your choice of a good savory beef gravy. Do not add more gravy than suggested as it will just make the bread too wet!
- Once mixed, cut loaves lengthwise.
- Using tongs, add beef mixture generously, placing 1/2 on each 24″ loaf. (or 1/4 if you’re using 4 Italian hoagie rolls)
- Sprinkle with mozzarella. You may wish to add extra cheese per hoagie.
- Wrap each loaf tightly in foil, crimping the ends of foil.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Heat through until cheese is melted and foil feels hot to touch!
Variations: You may also add onions, mushrooms, green pepper, red pepper along with tomatoes and lettuce.Tags